Dog Boarding KennelsRead more
Kranevo (Bulgarian: Кранево) is a coastal village on the northern Bulgarian Black Sea Coast, part of Balchik Municipality, Dobrich Province. It is located in the historical region of Southern Dobruja. Between 1913 and 1940 it was part of Romania, being its southernmost settlement. An important lighthouse is installed on Cape Ekrene, 3 km south of the village. Kranevo enjoys high tourist population during summers as its proximity to Albena and cheaper/reasonable prices.
The settlement was founded in the Ancient period, probably by the ancient Thraciansand in the next periods was part of the Roman, Bulgarian and Ottoman Empires, while its name during Ottoman rule was Ekrene, (Turkish: Ekrene).
Kranevo has succeeded an ancient Roman stronghold, known as ‘Ekrene’ or the harbour ‘Kraneia’. Traces of the Roman fortress, which was exploited during the Middle Ages as well, have been found on the southern plateaus above the village.